Goals vs Objectives Difference
People have always been debating over Goals vs Objectives, trying hard to gage the difference between the two. Though we have all come across the terms time and again, ever since our childhood, we often end up asking: is there a difference between Goals and Objectives?
From academics to business, there is a constant mention of goals and objectives which seem to be interdigitated with each other. Though not similar, none of the two can be fruitful without the other.
Read: Difference Between How About You and What About You
Where goal needs to be accomplished with clear objectives, having objectives will be of no use without a proper set of goals.
Hence, what is the difference between Goals and Objectives? To be able to distinguish between goals and objectives, let us first understand the meaning of the two.
What are Goals?
In simple words, goals can be defined as the aim or ambition a person has. It can be envisioned as a result which a person desires to achieve at the end of a stipulated period of time.
Not just a person, goals can be set by a group of people, company, brand or organization who wish to achieve or accomplish something for their betterment in future.
Read: What is the Difference Between Frequency and Bandwidth?
What are Objectives?
Objectives are sustainable principles as well as through actions taken towards fulfilling a pre-decided aim or goal in future. One can never achieve his/her goal without proper objectives.
This is universally implemented in case of individuals as well as companies.
For individuals, objectives can be related to their planning or work process in order to establish a stable career or flourish in academia or sports.
Whereas, for companies and brands, it indicates the process of working to meet a certain requirement, deadline to simply be more successful.
Also See: What is the Difference Between Revolt and Revolution?
Key Differences Between Goals and Objectives?
We can distinguish between goals and objectives based on a number of factors. To understand them better, let us have a detailed comparison of both:
What are Goals and Objectives Based On?
The main difference between goals and objectives is what it is mostly based on, or how it actually proceeds.
- Objectives are basically factual whereas goals are based on ideas.
- Objectives help the person plan things and pursue accordingly with actions that are based on facts.
- On the other hand, a goal is an idea of accomplishment. It can be defined as an idea of achievement in near or far future.
How Can We Distinguish Goals and Objectives on the Basis of Time?
Time gives us a clearer picture and helps us understand the difference between goals and objectives better.
- Objectives are set for a shorter period of time. It is planned for a definite interval of time within which the actions need to be taken.
- On the contrary, goals are set for a longer period of time. An individual or a company preferably sets a goal which needs to be accomplished in near or far future. It is a vision based on which one plans their future, hence goals are mostly set for a longer period of time.
What is the Mode of Action of Goals and Objectives?
Among the various differences between goals and objectives, the mode of action provides a higher degree of clarification.
- Objectives are more specific as compared to the goals which are termed to be more generic. Since the former is mostly based on a planned mode of action, its specificity is better than the latter.
- On the contrary, goals might consist of a group of several things without having proper specificity.
Must See: What is the Difference Between Management and Administration?
Objectives have a concrete framing of the actions which needs to be taken, whereas goals are more of an idea and an abstract frame of the future.
Apart from that, goals and objectives can also be segregated on the basis of ease and comfort. Goals are relatively more complex than objectives.
Since objectives are mostly scheduled for shorter span of time and comes with pre-planned procedures, it provides an easier way of approach than the goals.
Wrap Up – Goals vs Objectives Difference
Though both goals and objectives come with their own set of differences, we cannot disagree with their inter-dependence on each other. No matter how strong our will is for accomplishing the goals, we cannot achieve it without proper set of objectives.