It is surprising that not many of us are aware of the link between water and hair growth. What are the benefits of drinking water for hair? Are you drinking your daily 8 glasses of water?
Water is the cheapest and easiest thing to get and it is beneficial for all organs of the body. It hydrates your body and regulates the circulatory system, but today let’s check out the benefits of water for your hair growth!
Water accounts for 25% of the weight of one strand of hair. Normal adults lose around 1 to 2 liters of water in a day, more so after intense physical activities. So it is important to replenish our body with water. Just as plants need water to grow, your hair also needs water to grow and remain healthy.
Water and Hair Growth: Prevent Dehydration
We all know that our body loses water through perspiration and other ways, but did you know that it could affect your hair!
- When there is not sufficient amount of water in the body, it affects hair cell health and reproduction.
- If the roots are not properly hydrated, the hair becomes fragile, rough and will even stop growing at the usual speed.
- Hair gets its water from the roots, so when it absorbs more water, hair growth is also boosted and the hair remains healthy and hydrated.
Remember: Hair needs more hydration in summer.
Water Provides Vitamins for Hair
Your hair is like a plant. Just as a plant dries up, withers and stops growing for lack of water, so does your hair. It is important to hydrate the hair shaft and provide it with the necessary vitamins.
- Drinking plenty of water and keeping hydrated ensures that essential proteins and vitamins reach the hair follicles and make them stronger.
You will not be able to see overnight changes in your hair by drinking more water. It takes a while to see the results.
- If you don’t drink water, it could lead to a loss of vitamins in your body and cause many other health problems, which could, in turn lead to loss of hair.
- Water provides hair cells with vitamins. These are the cells that are responsible for hair growth.
- Most of the vitamins necessary for hair are water soluble, so they are not stored. They are excreted in the urine, so these must be taken every day. Thus, it is important to drink a lot of water to dissolve these important vitamins.
Stemming Hair Loss – Prevent Split Ends and Brittle Hair
When your body is running low in water, the hair starts breaking and falling. Drinking water for hair loss is a great way to avoid split ends or brittle hair.
- One of the most important things for your hair is providing it with proper nutrition.
- Maintain the moisture in your hair in order to avoid dryness, breakage and shedding.
In addition to drinking water, eat fruits and vegetables that are water rich, in order to hydrate your mane and prevent hair loss.
If you are experiencing hair fall accompanied by night sweats, loss in energy and hot flashes, it is most likely that you are not hydrated well enough.
Electric and Magnetic Energy
One of the benefits of drinking water for hair is that is that it creates magnetic and electrical energy to your hair strands!
- Drinking water provides both electric and magnetic energy. This energy is provided to the roots of the hair from the scalp.
- The energy activates nerve endings present in the roots and the scalp.
If you have a problem with an itchy scalp, drinking water might help in many ways.
- Many people use application of oil as a solution for itchy scalp. It could help in hydrating the hair from the outside, but drinking water helps from the inside.
- By drinking water, you’re giving moisture directly to the hair roots.
- Drinking water also keeps your hair clean, so you are actually detoxing the hair.
- Water flushes out the toxins and brings in good nutrients to the hair.
- The scalp turns dry, brittle, itchy weak due to the lack of water.
- Just as water replenishes your skin, it does the same to your scalp and reduces chances of dryness, itchiness and dandruff.
Dandruff and Water
One of the reasons for a dry scalp is dandruff and you can get rid of these by drinking plenty of water.
- Without enough water, the skin on the scalp starts drying out and flaking causing dandruff.
- The presence of dandruff leads to irritants penetrating the scalp skin more quickly and this aggravates the dandruff condition.
Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water to get rid of dandruff and, thereby, help your hair to become healthier.
Drinking water alone might not be enough! Complement it by using hydrating shampoo to tackle the problem.
Wrap Up – Does Drinking Water Help in Hair Growth?
So the secret to those luscious locks is just a glass away. Stop thinking about how many glasses of water you should be drinking. Drink 8 glasses or two liters of water or just drink water whenever you feel like it, before a meal, after a meal, in between meals. Just make it a part of your daily routine. Sip water gradually throughout the day, instead of gulping it down in one large intake.
Keep a refillable bottle by your table or at other strategic places in your house or working area to remind you to drink it throughout the day. Drink some water after every visit to the restroom. Use apps to track your water intake or use a marked water bottle.
Eat foods like cucumber and watermelon that have a high water content. If you are really looking for the best way to have a shiny and beautiful crown of hair on your head, there’s no better place to start than water. It is the cheapest and most effective weapon in your beauty routine.