Do cucumbers have nutritional value? Learn below some amazing health benefits of cucumber…
There are myriads of benefits of eating cucumber, as it is 95% water. Cucumbers belong to the watermelon and squash family. Check out these cucumber benefits to help you prevent several chronic diseases and remain healthy.
Is cucumber a fruit or a vegetable? Actually both, so you can call it a vegetable fruit. Cucumber is high in water content but low in fats and calories. It has a refreshing taste and is perfect for eating in hot weather.
Are cucumbers healthy? Check out the nutritional value of cucumber in the chart below. According to the USDA, 1 cup of sliced cucumber weighing 119 g contains a lot of important nutrients.
Some Amazing Health Benefits of Cucumber
Stay Hydrated with Cucumber Juice
According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, you need to drink at least 6 glasses of water a day.
Well, plain water could be quite boring, so add some cucumber to remain hydrated and derive cucumber benefits.
Antioxidants (Benefits of Cucumber)
What are cucumbers good for? There are several advantages of cucumber. Apart from being a hydrating agent, cucumbers also contain antioxidants that can prevent damage to cells by free radicals. In this way, they can prevent serious conditions, such as:
- Cardio related problems
- Eye problems
Important: Cucumbers contain many flavonoid antioxidants for reversing cell damage.
You May Like: Top 10 Super Health Benefits of Pistachio Nuts
Digestion and Cucumbers
- Cucumber contains two important ingredients needed for proper digestion, namely, water and fiber.
- Moreover, the cucumber fiber is of the insoluble type, which means that it adds bulk to the stools, so that the food moves more smoothly and is eliminated more efficiently, without constipation problems.
- The ideal amount of fiber is 50 grams for every 1000 calories of food consumed.
Tip: Consume cucumber peel to add insoluble fiber to bulk up stools.
Watch that Waistline
- Cucumbers are a welcome addition to the diet of those who want to reduce weight.
- Cucumber juice nutrition offers a refreshing way of managing your weight.
You do not have to stick to plain cucumber salads. Try out different, delicious weight loss friendly recipes including cucumber.
- As far as cucumber calories are concerned, they are negligible. One cup contains merely 14 calories, whereas your daily calorie intake could be around 1500 calories for a weight loss program. Even a large cucumber has only 45 calories.
- One of the health benefits of cucumber water is to get your daily dosage of Vitamin K and about 7% of daily requirement of Vitamin C with half an unpeeled cucumber.
- As it helps with constipation, it might indirectly help in reducing weight as well.
- Cucumber salads fill you up so that you do not overeat on the main course.
Tip: Try a mix of cucumbers with tomatoes and fresh basil leaves topped with lemon juice.
- One of the benefits of eating cucumber at night is that it offers a novel way of losing weight. The fruit contains plenty of fiber, so the body uses energy to digest it, thereby increasing the metabolism while sleeping.
Cucumbers for Controlling Diabetes
- Cucumber has a low glycemic index of 15. This means that when you eat cucumbers your blood sugar levels will not rise much. This is important for those suffering from diabetes as it helps them manage blood sugar levels more efficiently.
- Cucumber is also low in carbs, with about 3.8 grams of carbs in a cup.
- Diabetics can make cucumbers the focus of their diet, as it will help them feel full and prevent them from overeating. This will reduce calorie intake and prevent weight gain in diabetics.
Note: As a comparison, Carrots have a GI of 35, whereas Green peas are 51.
Cucumber Benefits for Men
- Men can eat cucumber to deal with problems like erectile dysfunction, instead of opting for Viagra like substances that come with unpleasant side effects.
- It helps by boosting blood flow to the area.
- It also helps you in overcoming stress and tiredness, helping the blood vessels in relaxing and improving the flow to the genital areas.
Skin and Beauty (Benefits of Cucumber)
- Use cucumber for skin lightening, as it is one of the major aspect’s cucumber benefits for skin. Learn how to apply cucumber on face in the video below.
- It is anti-inflammatory and can cure skin problems and reduce freckles.
Tip: Use cucumber as a face mask. Mix with yogurt for skin blemishes and dry skin.
- Use cucumber as a toner, astringent or bleach.
- Reverse ageing signs and wrinkles using a cucumber face pack. It’s anti-ageing properties arise from the manganese and potassium present in it.
- Cucumber for face: Cure sunburns with a mix of cucumber and raw milk applied on the face.
- Cucumber slices placed on the eyes are great for puffy eyes.
- It contains silicon and sulphur, which increases hair growth. Apply on scalp and then wash off after ½ an hour.
How to Eat Cucumbers / Cucumber Diet
- Eat cucumbers as a salad, either with the skin or without. It is a versatile vegetable and you can add it to any number of dishes.
- Eat cucumbers after a meal, just as you would drink water after a meal. It helps in digestion.
- What is the best time to eat cucumber? Eat cucumbers before a meal, if you wish to reduce weight.
- Eat it as a snack between meals. They are filling but do not add calories.
- Have them during the summer to prevent dehydration.
Slice cucumbers and put them in a bottle of water along with a lemon slice for a refreshing drink on a sunny day.
- Drink cucumber water in the morning for a perfect detoxification process.
- While considering the effects of eating cucumber, how much cucumbers should I eat? It’s certainly not cool to overdose on anything, even a good thing. Take the following precautions while eating cucumbers:
# Wash the cucumbers in running water
# Peel it before you eat it
# Avoid the end, by cutting off one inch from its stem end
# Eat in moderation. One medium cucumber a day should suffice
Wrap Up – Health Benefits of Eating Cucumber
Cucumbers contain plenty of water and the vegetable has been linked with various benefits related to diabetes, heart health, obesity, healthy skin, improved energy, prevention of cancer and several others.
A cucumber diet is nature’s gift to us to stay cool and hydrated, aid us in health and beauty. To reap the benefits of cucumber, eat them raw or apply them on the skin.
Cucumbers are also available in plenty all over the world and cheap as well. So, be as cool as a cucumber by bringing in the humble cucumber into your health and beauty regime.