List of Herbs and Spices and Their Health Benefits
While reading this article the first question that comes into your mind is: “Are herbs good for you?” Herbs are far more beneficial than any article will ever be able to praise. Since the very dawn of civilization, people have been using herbs for health and healing.
Before the advent of allopathic treatments, herbs were the primary source of medicines. Even after the development of science and invention of unbelievable chemical medication, a significant part of science still relies on the health benefits of herbs.
Herbs have proven to do wonders in not just maintaining a healthy lifestyle, but are extremely useful in curing deadliest diseases as well as healing fatal wounds. And the best part? They are completely natural with zero side effects as compared to that of other medications.
Hence, to enrich you with some of the incredible health benefits of herbs, here is a list of herbs and spices and their health benefits.
Most of the preparations should be consumed in empty stomach to reap the benefits altogether. However, if you do not have time to consume them early in the morning, then make sure you make some time in between your schedule and consume them between meals.
10 Herbs & Spices With Powerful Health Benefits
If you are looking for the health benefits of herbs and spices, then you cannot miss ginger. Ginger has a range of application and has been used as one of the primary herbs for health.
- Ginger is popularly used as a remedy for Rhinitis or cure for cold flu A few chopped pieces of ginger mixed with a light brew of tea does wonder in relieving a blocked nose, headache and cough.
- Ginger juice is also known to cure a sore throat. Mix half spoon of honey and half spoon of ginger juice and have it once or twice a day to get relieved of a sore throat.
- Ginger also helps in reducing inflammation and joint swelling. If a small quantity of ginger juice is mixed with salt and rubbed over joint pain or spondylosis repeatedly, it works magically.
If you are looking for the amazing benefits of spices, you will not be able to miss turmeric.
- Turmeric is highly used for its anti-inflammatory The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin which takes credit for most of its benefits. Thus, turmeric is also used for relieving swelling in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Turmeric is also used for its healing properties. It helps in healing wounds, curing swellings, redness and helps in improving blood circulation. Thus, the scars or injuries get repaired fast leading to the growth of newer cells in the process.
- Turmeric boosts immunity and prevents cancer. It is antibacterial in property and also helps in inhibiting the growth of tumors.
- Turmeric is one of such beneficial spices which helps improving heart
- It helps in curing leaky guts and promotes better digestion.
Besides its use in essential oils and aromatherapy, here are some more spice health benefits of Peppermint:
- Peppermint is known to relieve pain caused due to bowel problems, colon pain, abdominal bloating, etc.
- Peppermint cures nausea. It is used by a number of women in labor to treat nausea pre and post deliveries.
You May Like: 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Listening to Music
Cinnamon is highly talked about because of its exceptional spice health benefits. The cinnamaldehyde content in Cinnamon is responsible for its acknowledgment among the best health benefits of spices.
- It is a powerful anti-diabetic agent which can effectively lower blood glucose levels.
- It is a powerful anti-oxidant and is highly anti-inflammatory.
- Cinnamon is also used for lowering cholesterol levels and for enhancing the breakdown of excess fatty acids in the blood.
Holy Basil or Tulsi (Excellent Herb for Health)
Basil or Tulsi is popular as well as a sacred herb in India and is worshiped by almost every Hindu family.
- It is highly beneficial in boosting immunity and provides better protection to the body.
- Basil is antimicrobial and prevents invasion of bacteria, fungi or yeast.
- It is also known to improve mental health. Regular consumption can result in reduced depression, anxiety and stress.
- If consumed regularly, Tulsi can also help in better digestion.
Maintaining a proper diet and regularly exercising is the key to remain healthy. Herbs and spices play a crucial role in it.
Fenugreek has been renowned as a popular spice for reproductive health. Its properties have exceptional benefits in both male and female body.
- Fenugreek has been used since time immemorial for boosting libido. It is also very beneficial in enhancing masculinity.
- Fenugreek seeds are often beneficial for breast growth and tightening saggy It may also be helpful in maintaining regular menstrual cycles.
- Fenugreek has also been proven to be beneficial for lowering blood glucose levels in the body due to the presence of hydroxy isoleucine.
The impressive properties of garlic are richly acclaimed spice among the well-known medicinal properties of spices. Most of its medical benefits are because of the allicin content in it.
- Garlic is extremely beneficial in curing a common cold. If you could consume garlic raw or with honey, it can cure a common cold quickly.
- Including garlic in regular diet boosts immunity and prevents flu symptoms.
- Garlic is also known for reducing cholesterol and is thus known as one of the best spices with health benefits.
- Garlic takes the credit for maintaining normal heart health. It helps in improving blood circulation and thus, promotes heart health.
Rosemary has been proven to have one of the best herbs for health benefits. It is known as a sacred herb in the Romanian and Greek culture. It is not only beautiful but has exceptional benefits in aromatherapy and is significantly used as an herb for health.
Rosemary herb can be used in dried and ground form as well as in essential oils. It contains Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, which is responsible for most of its benefits.
- Rosemary is anti-inflammatory in function and helps in reducing swellings and inflammation of any kind.
- Rosemary is rich in fibers. It has proven to be beneficial in enhancing gut health and improving digestion. Hence, including it in the regular diet can work wonders.
- If consumed as a light brew, Rosemary can also cure nausea and other symptoms of common cold.
- It is known to cure acne and pimples and remove dark spots and pigmentation.
- Rosemary as an essential oil also removes dandruff and repairs dead, worn out tissues.
- It also helps in boosting cognitive functions and maintaining emotional balance in life.
Known as one of the most beneficial herbs for health and healing, Sage is exceptionally helpful for humans. It is also one of the most common herbs readily available. Used as a vital kitchen ingredient for garnishing, Sage is also a popular herb with health benefits.
- Sage is known to enhance cognitive functioning of the brain. It helps the brain to take promising decisions and prevents confusion.
- It helps in memory retention and increases memory power of the brain.
- Consuming sage on a regular basis prevents brain diseases and disorders. It prevents diseases like Parkinson’s as well as Alzheimer’s. Hence, it is also a necessary medicine in such conditions.
- Sage is rich in Vitamin K and thus helps in improving reproductive health and thus regulating the menstrual
- It helps in lowering blood cholesterol as well as blood glucose
- Sage is rich in anti-oxidants and is also a popular herb with anti-inflammatory properties.
Cumin is the most common spice in the kitchen and is also a popular spice with health benefits. It has a distinct flavor and aroma which makes it the primary ingredient in most of the delicacies. However, besides the taste and the flavor, cumin is well-known for a range of other health benefits.
- Cumin is rich in thymol which directly boosts bile secretion and improves digestion in the stomach. It prevents gastritis and also cures hemorrhoids in the stomach. Thus, it reduces the chances of gastric ulcers.
- Cumin has high fiber content which helps in roughage and thus proper bowel
- It is rich in anti-oxidants and Vitamin E which helps in adhering bright, glowing skin.
- Cumin is also a popular antimicrobial agent which prevents bacteria, virus, etc. thus avoiding any kind of pathogenic disease. Besides, it is anti-congestive in nature.
Do not consume any of the herbs and spices in an excess amount. Your body only requires a minimum amount of everything to function normally. Anything excess is never beneficial for the body.
Wrapping It Up
Nature has always blessed us with beautiful herbs and spices which are used for exceptional health benefits. Make sure to include the herbs for health and reap their benefits to stay healthy and fit in the long run.