You must hire a cook for your restaurant who is skilled and efficient. Hiring a chef is the most important task when you decide to start a restaurant because people visit a restaurant to have delicious food.
When you are looking for a chef for your café, you must have clarity about the cuisine and theme of your café. Invest your time and energy in hiring the best cook when you are opening a restaurant.
Why Do You Need to Hire a Chef in Your Restaurant?
The quality and taste of food is the most important factor in the success of a restaurant. Even if you know how to cook well, you must hire someone to cook for you. A professional cook knows how to prepare a variety of dishes in a short span of time.
According to customers, the food quality is more important than service, price, and décor of a restaurant. Therefore, you need to hire a cook who can prepare sumptuous dishes for your customers.
Once you have the right culinary talent, your restaurant will automatically move towards success. It is a challenging task to hire a chef who is perfect for the concept of your restaurant. When you are looking for a cook, you need to do a good amount of research.
A chef recruiting agency can help you in finding the right cook. You can find chefs available for work on social media and newspaper advertisements. You must take a detailed interview before you hire a cook.
Must Read: Franchising: Pros & Cons of Buying a Franchise Business
Chef Job Description
A chef is also known as a head cook. The primary job of a chef is to oversee the preparation of food at the restaurant daily.
A chef supervises the activities of all other cooks and helpers. He trains new staff and helps in taking marketing decisions of the restaurant.
A chef checks the freshness of all ingredients. He develops new recipes for a restaurant. He also plans how to present the dish to the customers in a creative manner.
Step by Step Process to Hire a Cook for Your Restaurant
See: Fast Food Business: How to Start a Small Street Food Outlet in India
Now that you know the importance of a chef, you need to invest time and energy in hiring the best cook for your restaurant. Every restaurateur feels that hiring a hardworking and talented chef for his restaurant is one of the most difficult challenges.
Let’s take a look at the steps that you must follow to hire a cook for your restaurant:
Decide the Cuisine of Your Restaurant
If you want to hire a cook for your restaurant, the first step is to decide the cuisine of your restaurant. If you settle on Chinese cuisine, you need to hire a chef who is skilled at preparing a variety of Chinese dishes.
Hiring a chef trained in Mediterranean cuisine won’t help if you want to serve Indian dishes to your customers.
Once you decide the cuisine of your restaurant, you can match the capabilities of a chef to your needs. If you want your restaurant to serve multi-cuisine dishes, you need to hire a cook who is adept at various types of cuisine.
Know the Qualities you Should Look for in a Chef
The second step for recruiting cooks is to know the qualities that a cook must possess apart from a culinary degree. A chef or head cook must have leadership skills to run the kitchen of a restaurant.
If you know the qualities you should look for in a chef, you will be able to hire the right candidate during the interview.
- First of all, the chef must have an even temperament. On high-stress days, the calm nature of the chef will help your restaurant in performing well. If he is calm and composed under pressure, the rest of the staff will be calm too.
- The chef must be a good trainer and educator. Hire a chef who has the ability to train new kitchen staff. The chef must know to use various types of equipment of the restaurant and teach new workers how to operate them.
- You should hire a cook who will never compromise on the quality of food. He must be dedicated to his work and ensure that the best food goes out of the door. No matter how wonderful the ambiance of your restaurant is, you need to serve the best food to get positive feedback from your customers.
- The chef must be detail oriented and have computer skills. Typing skills will let the chef create menu layouts.
- Hire a cook who has at least a few years of experience.
- If you find a chef who shares your values and philosophy, you will be able to provide a great dining experience for your customers.
Also Read: Organic vs Non-Organic Food: All You Must Know
Contact a Recruiting Agency to Hire a Cook
If you want to hire a chef, the third step is to contact a recruiting agency. A chef recruiting agency is a reliable solution for finding a skilled cook. These agencies understand that chefs are the most powerful weapon for an eatery business.
They have a large database of experienced culinary artists from all over the world. Whether you are looking for a pastry chef, a baker or an executive chef, you can hire a cook from a recruiting agency.
You need to inform the recruiting agency about your requirements. As you have already decided the cuisine of your restaurant, you can list your requirements without any confusion.
Skilled cooks looking for jobs register with various chef recruiting agencies. Therefore, contacting an agency is a great way to find the perfect chef for your restaurant.
You will be able to hire a cook who matches all your requirements. The cooks associated with an agency are expert at using the right proportion of various spices. They have both skills and experience that will help your restaurant to prosper.
If the chef suddenly leaves the job, a recruiting agency can find a replacement in the shortest possible time. This is one of the reasons why restaurant owners contact chef recruiting agencies for hiring a cook.
Ask for Recommendations and References
If the fee for the recruiting agency is too high, you can consider other ways to hire a cook. You can ask your family, friends, and acquaintances for recommendations.
Your friend can let you know of a talented cook who worked in her house a few months back. If you hire a cook without the help of a recruiting agency, you won’t have to pay a hefty fee to an agency. Moreover, the cook will be answerable only to you and not to any agency.
This will help the restaurant owner form a good rapport with the cook. If the cook is familiar to you, he won’t have the fear of working in a new place with a new boss. If you are unable to hire a cook through a recruiting agency, take references from your friends and family.
You can also talk to food vendors and suppliers. They might know a talented cook who is looking for a job change. Word of mouth is a great way to hire a cook.
You May Like: Why Holidays May Be the Best Time to Look for a Job
Post an Advertisement Online
If you are unable to hire a cook after following the last two steps, you should post an advertisement online. There are many job posting websites like Glassdoor and Indeed from where you can get talented applicants.
As there are plenty of chef jobs listed on these sites, you need to make your job post stand out. You must keep a few important points in mind when you are writing an advertisement to hire a cook.
- The title is the most important component when you are writing a chef recruiting job post. Specify what kind of cook you would like to hire. It can be a pastry chef for a bakery or an executive chef for a multi-cuisine restaurant.
- In the introduction section of your advertisement, write about your restaurant and its mission. You should then state what you are exactly looking for in your chef. In two to three sentences, you should summarize what a job applicant can expect from your company and the job that you are offering.
- The responsibilities section is the longest section in the job post. Use bullets to mention the work that your chef needs to perform regularly. Each point should be crisp and clear.
- The last section in the job ad. is the “how to apply” part. You can mention your email ID or the website of your restaurant through which applicants can apply for the job. Make it a hassle-free process so that interested candidates can easily apply for the job.
- You can find options to optimize your advertisement so that it can reach the best applicants in a short span of time.
If you are looking for a cook, you can also post on social media. There can be many talented cooks in the list of your followers. Mention the job description and salary package to attract applicants.
Check Out: 10 High Profit Food Business Ideas with Small Investment
Taking Interviews of Applicants
Taking interviews of applicants is the most important step that you need to follow when hiring a cook for your restaurant.
When you have the list of applicants, you need to prepare yourself for the interview. You must ask some important questions that will let you decide if the applicant is suitable for the job.
- First of all, you should ask the applicant about his training and experience. Select a cook who has adequate formal training.
- Next, you must ask the applicant why he wants to be a cook. Hire a chef who is passionate about food and exploring various cuisines.
- You must ask the applicant how many hours he can stand on his feet without getting tired.
- When you are taking the interview, you must ask some tricky questions. They will help you understand the nature of the applicant. Ask him what he would do if the meal he prepared got criticized or sent back. Hire a cook who is ready to accept his mistake.
You can also ask him to choose between making the meal properly and timely delivery of food. Hire a cook who will never be ready to compromise on the quality of food.
- You must ask the applicant the reason he left his last job and where he sees himself in next five years.
- Do not forget to ask the applicant about his knife handling skills. You can ask a few recipes that go well with the cuisine of your restaurant for testing the applicant’s knowledge. Hire a cook who has great knowledge and confidence in his skills.
- You should ask the applicant what he prefers doing in his downtime. You should also ask him how he feels about working on holidays and weekends.
If you ask these questions during the interview, you will be able to select the best cook for your restaurant. Recruit a cook who has leadership skills, smooth temperament, knowledge, and experience.
Must See: Top 11 Best Self Employment Ideas in India with Low Investment
Wrapping up Hiring a Cook
If you follow this step by step guide, you will be able to hire a cook for your restaurant without any problem. After knowing the steps to hire a chef, you must have understood that it is a challenging task.
Remember that skills and patience are important when hiring a cook who can play a major role in making your restaurant business successful. You have to filter and search for a talented cook who can make signature dishes that will lure customers to visit your restaurant time and again.
A restaurant might need many cooks. First of all, you need to hire a cook who can supervise the other cooks. He is known as the executive chef and is the most important staff member. Next, you have to hire a sous chef who will assist the executive chef.
A line cook needs to take care of various types of work in the restaurant kitchen. Many restaurants also require pastry chef, saucier, meat cook, fish cook, and fry cook. Hire a cook after he is able to impress you with his skills in the interview.